33050 Webber Road. • Avon Lake, Ohio 44012 • (440) 933-6666
A Family Tradition of Excellence Since 1935
Klingshirn Winery is a third generation
family farm winery established in the fall of 1935. A large surplus
grape crop prompted first generation Albert R.
Klingshirn to begin producing wine commercially, in twenty 50
gallon wooden barrels in the cellar of his home. Five years later
Albert built a small winery consisting of two levels. The basement
housed the fermentation tanks and two hundred 50 gallon wooden barrels.
The small ground level room served as a Bottling/Storage/Sales Room.
The wine press was stored on a nearby farm.
Albert's son, Allan, purchased the farm and
winery in 1955 and began expanding the product line. As the business
grew, small barrels were replaced by larger wooden casks and stainless
steel tanks. In 1978 the winery was expanded to four times its original
size. The building was now large enough to contain all the production
facilities and a retail sales room.
Allan's youngest son, Lee, graduated
from Ohio State University in 1986 with a Bachelors Degree in Viticulture
and Enology. Lee, the third generation operator,
is now the winemaker and works with his parents to continue the
Each man has contributed to the winery
in distinct ways and has helped to create the business that Klingshirn
Winery is today. Below, you can take a photo tour through the livlihood
of three generations of Klingshirns.
First generation wine producer, Albert
Klingshirn and his wife, Theresa, built the original winery just
west of their home. The winery consisted of a basement and small
The "Blitz", a homemade tractor, was built in the early 1940's.
Second generation, Allan Klingshirn,
became the operator of the winery and vineyards in 1946. At this
time, the wine was still stored in smaller wooden barrels and only
a couple of stainless steel tanks.
The Klingshirns handpicked all of the
grapes until 1978 when the first mechanical harvester was purchased
by Allan and four other Welch grapegrowers in the area.
Allan made several improvements for
the winery. He built a quonset to house farming equipment and more
In 1978, Allan also oversaw the expansion
of the winery to four times its original size. The addition provided
space for storing large wine barrels and stainless steel tanks,
as well as a retail room.
Below are the larger wine barrels with
Lee, the current winemaker and operator, standing in front of them.
Third Generation, Lee Klingshirn took
over the family business in 1985 when he returned from college.
Then, as fate would have it, Lee met
Nancy Autullo at the Columbus Wine and Arts Festival in March
of 1992. As the saying goes, one thing led to another,and by 2002,
we had another happy family of Klingshirns operating our winery.
Below are Lee, Nancy, Theresa,
Frank and Josephine
in the vineyards for their 2011 family portrait
Portrait by Tony Palmieri,
445 Avon Belden Road • Avon Lake, OH 44012
(440) 933-4000 • www.palmierisphotography.com